I knew Martin really well (few did). This is approved by Martins family.
“Dear Martin I miss you and I love you. All the time we have spent traveling, talking and partying and all your energy, amassing stories and knowledge – have helped me and the world. I’m crying now – because I have seen you with my kids (playing endless games) and I know how much your siblings and your father and mother will miss you. I hope you are happy where ever you are. I will always miss you (and I meant it when I told you that you where like a son to me). FUCK its unfair.”
Martin was an always on online person and the web is already full of beautifull goodbyes Twitter search on Martin (hundreds of comments) -David Naylor (many y friend to Martin) – Sullivan (many year friend)- All Things D – says goodbye – Alley Insider says goodbye – La Times freidns say goodbye
This is impossible to believe in all ways. I feel so bad. I feel so bad for his fantastic family and the Mother (doctor) and Father (engineer) – who created the most unique and outstanding 23y old Scandinavian kid ever seen in the business world. Because Martin Schaedel:
- was a true self made international bizzman 23y old.
- was loyal – like no one else
- had no fear (unfortunately)
- had gotten so much love from his parents that he dared scratching every surface of the world and did it.
- was smarter then most people I’ve met – and always challenged structures and deals and patterns – people 20y’s older never even understood. And he was following the world news, blogs, deals and politics via his amassing RSS subscriptions on mobile and on his 2-3 laptops.
- impressively made his own money since 17 – and spend them on OTHER PEOPLE (the only one who ever gave me a 1000$ gift – and loved teasing me by paying for a big dinners while I was looking away for a second).
- travelled like there was no day tommorow – and max 1% of the readers here will spend as much time in planes. (please send me a link to his insane travelmap if u have it).
- was a boy of energy, energy, dreams, hope and mystery – He stepped into the biggest companies in the world – 100% self confident and gave a bold shot at how to do the next move.
- was driving his cars like a mad man – mad.
(post your own in the comment field)
Yesterday I was contacted via Facebook by Ari (did not know him) – telling me to contact him urgent regarding Martin. I had no clue what it was about – but it has happened quite often that someone wanted to see if Marin was for real :) – and since we shared energy level (on my good days) people has often asked me for a reference check. So asked Ari to call me and he did in 5min. Within the same minute i received a mail from my journalist friend in NY that something might have happened to Martin. I was in Paris on my way to a meeting – when Ari told me that Martin had been with him in LA all day and Martin went to his flying/pilot lesson after their meeting – see his twitter:
Ari told me that the next thing was news on TV reporting a small plane had crashed and 2 people died. Ari told me that Martin had passed away. I started shaking and crying – but somehow went into action mode – all my brain power went into finding Martins family. I talked to ntsb.gov to get confirmation – they unfortunetly did. His ID was found on him. They also gave me instructions in how to talk to the Schaeldel family – tell them to sit down and don’t lie and dont say anything if they where driving. I started tracking the family’s phone number – but it was hard to find (in my state of mind) – so I ended up using a danish secret agent – who was really helpfull and found the number in 2 min. And then I took a deeeeeep breath and did the worst phone call in my life. (I don’t want to post the conversation). But – Off course I failed 100% and started crying durring saying “Hello – this is Morten…”.
There are lots of news out there already and we all feel big pain.
Post you words and links here – and your memories (all of them please – the crazy and good one’s). for his siplings and family to understand how much we all loved him. They never met any of his hundreds of international friends… I will wear the t-shirt he got made for me with Motu Lund in big print (meaning big dick in somekind of Indian) today.
Note: I will update when I know when and where the memorial service will be taking place and if it will be public.